Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT)
EVLT (Endovenous Laser Treatment) Closure – The EVLT is an impressively effective treatment for varicose veins. Unlike painful Varicose Vein Surgery of the past, EVLT vein treatment shuts down veins from the inside by use of laser and ultrasound technology – all with minimal discomfort or side effects. The Pueblo Vein Center’s experts will make an accurate diagnosis, in order to develop a customized treatment plan that is perfect for you. EVLT involves actually entering the vein and treating the diseased vein from within, hence the term “endovenous”. The idea of treating the diseased vein from within is ancient and there are accounts of this technique which date back to the time of Hippocrates in the 4th century BC. However, it was not until recently that innovations in technology including real-time ultrasound guidance, tumescent anesthesia and portable lasers have allowed us to safely and effectively treat this disease in an office setting.
The type of laser technology that we thoughtfully invested in for the endovenous laser treatment is the AngioDynamics® NeverTouch® VenaCure EVLT.
The NeverTouch gold-tip laser fiber establishes a new standard for patient comfort, visibility and ease of use. The gold-tip fiber eliminates laser tip contact with the vein wall, which in turn minimizes perforations of the vein wall. Perforations of the vein wall by traditional bare tip laser typically result in pain and bruising. The gold-tip also maximizes ultrasonic visibility, making it easier for physicians to use during endovenous laser treatment.
In EVLT vein treatment, a thin fiber is inserted into the damaged vein. A laser light is emitted through the fiber, delivering just the right amount of energy. The targeted tissue reacts with the light energy, causing the vein to close and seal shut. The veins that are closed off are the veins in the superficial venous system that handles less than 5% of your return blood flow. The blood is naturally and automatically routed to other veins.
The VenaCure endovenous laser treatment procedure uses targeted laser energy to seal the vein shut and helps you look and feel better fast. Advantages of VenaCure EVLT are:
- Ultrasound is used to map out your vein.
- Local anesthetic is applied; therefore, you can drive after the procedure.
- A thin laser fiber is inserted through a tiny entry point.
- Laser energy is delivered to seal the faulty vein.
- Walking immediately after the procedure is encouraged. Normal daily activity can be resumed; just avoid rigorous activities such as gym workouts for one week.
- There may be some soreness and bruising 2–5 days after endovenous laser treatment. Any discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain relievers as necessary. Full recovery can be a few days to several weeks, but symptoms are usually mild. The more one wears compression hose post procedure, usually the faster the recovery.